The assorted finds of Artefact Publishing
Two Latin phrases which are consistently misspelled and mispronounced: ad nauseam and in medias res. I can understand the first, since people who don’t know Latin probably assume everything ends in -um or -us, but the second makes less sense.
Posted by jamie at 09:01+13:00 | Comments (1) | Permalink
Some time ago I purchased an NEC 3520 DVD burner, capable of writing Dual/Double Layer DVDs. Sadly, it didn’t work at all on Verbatim DVD-R DL discs, even though it ought to have. I don’t know where the problem occurred, but I can report that I have now had success with Imation DVD+R DL discs. Someone else who had the same problem as me found that Philips DL discs also worked where the Verbatim ones didn’t.
Hopefully this information will prove useful to others out there who were similarly discouraged on finding that their burner didn’t seem to behave as advertised. No wonder people on mailing lists and fora always seem to be saying “try different media” in response to any strange error!
Posted by jamie at 14:01+13:00 | Comments (4) | Permalink
I am being paid to work on IPA Zounds! Several features are being sponsored by one of the conlangers over at zompist bboard. Payment made via items on my Amazon wishlist.
I find this nifty for a number of reasons:
Posted by jamie at 21:06+13:00 | Comments (2) | Permalink
The last release of IPA Zounds has so far gone relatively well. People are using it, or going to use it, and I’ve managed to sort out a few installation difficulties people have been having.
Sorting out these problems, however, has involved spending three hours getting a MS Windows installer created, because people have had strange errors installing Python, GTK+ and PyGTK separately. Then discovering that for some people, some DLLs were still missing. Of course, everything worked on the Windows machines I tested it on; annoying.
Still, the positive feedback from those who have got it running is lovely, and I am currently working on implementing a feature request (reverse applier support in the IPA module).
Posted by jamie at 20:35+13:00 | Comments (0) | Permalink
If you are having trouble sending UTF-8-encoded email using Emacs and VM, the following configuration in your .vm may help:
(setq vm-send-using-mime t) (setq vm-mime-default-face-charsets t) (setq vm-mime-8bit-composition-charset "utf-8") (setq vm-mime-8bit-text-transfer-encoding 'base64) (setq vm-mime-mule-charset-to-charset-alist (cons '(mule-unicode-0100-24ff "utf-8") vm-mime-mule-charset-to-charset-alist)) (setq vm-mime-mule-charset-to-charset-alist (cons '(ipa "utf-8") vm-mime-mule-charset-to-charset-alist))
Apparently you should be able to leave out “(setq vm-mime-8bit-composition-charset "utf-8")”, but some have reported that that is still necessary. The last setq is only necessary if you do a bunch of stuff with IPA characters in it.
Anyway, this fixed the issue whereby my mail would be sent with an unknown charset and in 7bit, and consequently garbled.
Posted by jamie at 10:10+13:00 | Comments (0) | Permalink
Hailed by one tester as feeling slightly faster than the earlier version (ha!), and having new functionality, this new version shows that the refactoring was totally worth it. See the IPA Zounds website for more information.
Posted by jamie at 10:02+13:00 | Comments (0) | Permalink